My Morning Smoothie
I love my morning smoothie. It’s one of those things in my routine that is very difficult to go without. I feel a huge difference when I’m not able to have one, especially in my digestive system. In 2014 I was hit with food poisoning which triggered IBS-D. Something I will go into more detail at another time in another post.
I had put up with it for about a year, but after MUCH distress over my continual (daily) diarrhea and feeling at a loss of how to heal my gut, I started to shift my attention to the root cause of it all and turning to food as medicine. One of the changes I made was starting my morning off with a very basic veggie and fruit smoothie. I read The Beauty Detox Solution by Kimberly Snyder, who prioritizes gut health and optimizing digestion. She promotes this idea of starting your morning off with easily digestible foods, particularly a smoothie made only with fruit and veggies. I decided to give it a go, and wow! Just days into it, I noticed a huge difference.
Not only did I have more energy and feel better overall, but this was one of the critical factors that had, and still has, a major impact on my system. Within days my stools became somewhat normal again.
Like, no more diarrhea.
After so long of distress and not feeling like I even wanted to eat, my health began to shift for the better. Now, I’m not saying that I’m completely healed, it’s not a cure-all. There are still days when I have flare ups, but implementing this smoothie has had such a positive impact on my body, and is something I believe in 100%!
A few benefits to starting your day with a smoothie:
- It’s packs some serious vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals into your body.
- Fiber! Fiber is crucial to healthy eating and healthy stools, so important for that daily detox, but is often lacking in the American diet. (Yes, even the supposed healthy fruit juice is not something you should be drinking as it lacks all of the fiber!) A fiber-rich smoothie is a great alternative!
- It’s easy to digest. I believe this is what had the most impact on my IBS. Taking into account how long foods digest, and choosing easily digestible foods in the morning is important. Forcing your body to go into extreme digestive mode right when you get up is not helpful, especially in terms of your energy.
I let this smoothie fully digest, about 30 minutes, before eating a bit extra. My go-to lately has been some properly prepared oat and sprouted buckwheat porridge, mixed with a little date paste, cinnamon, and topped with hemp seeds.
- Greens- think romaine kale, spinach, collard greens, Swiss chard, and arugula
- Veggies- I like broccoli cauliflower, carrots, and beets
- Fruit- apple pear, mango, pineapple, apricot, peaches, banana, cherries, and berries
- Extras- parsley cilantro, fresh ginger, lemon, and lime
I pack my Vitamix about 2/3 vegetables and 1/3 fruit. Experiment with different combinations!
Add just enough water so that it will blend easily, and blend away!
Pour into a glass and enjoy! Take your time and "chew" it. (Remember, digestion begins in the mouth)
*For those that don't know, my recipes are made as whole and nutrient-dense as possible, but still incredibly satisfying. I share my recipes without measurements and hope they equip you to not feel confined to a recipe, but rather confident in your kitchen to be able to create something unique, nourishing, and delicious all on your own. So take this recipe as inspiration and enjoy! Head on over to my IG @noelle.parton and tag me if you try this out, or contact me if you have questions or comments.
May you walk into the abundance God has for you,
Get my 10 tips for how to be confident in the kitchen
© 2020 Simply to Thrive. All rights reserved.